Grade Level and Subject:Middle School History
Lesson:History of the Michigan Supreme Court
State Standard and Benchmark
Social Studies. Strand 1 Historical Perspective. Standard 1.2 Comprehending the Past. Students will understand narratives about major eras of American and world history by identifying setting and sequencing the events. Benchmark 1.2.9. Students will use narratives and graphic data to describe the settings of significant events that shaped the development of Michigan as a state and the United States as a nation during the eras prior to Reconstruction. Standard 3.4 American Government and Politics. Students will explain how American governmental institutions, at the local, state, and federal levels, provide for the limitations and sharing of power and how the nation’s political system provides for the exercise of power.
Students will be able to:
• Explain how Michigan’s constitutions changed the structure of the Michigan Supreme Court
• Explain why Michigan’s admission to the Union was delayed
• Name the first three justices of the Michigan Supreme Court
• List important “firsts” with regard to the Michigan Supreme Court
Rationale/Purpose for Lesson
Students will continue to increase their knowledge about the Michigan Supreme Court. They will learn how the Court has changed over the course of its history and evolved into its present structure. In addition, students will need this background in order to understand how the Supreme Court of Michigan presides over the lower courts.
• Quiz over Michigan history
• Teacher copy of “A Brief History of the Michigan Supreme Court” a publication of the Michigan Supreme Court Historical Society
• Student Note Packet
• MSC Study Guide
Tell students that after they finish the quiz they will begin to look at the Michigan Supreme Court and how it has changed over the course of its history.
Remind students that the Michigan Supreme Court has established itself as a respected body throughout the state as well as the country.
1. Work to complete the MSC Study Guide
Documents for this Lesson
- Lesson Three
- MSC Study Guide
- Study Guide Answers
- Michigan History Quiz
- Michigan History Answers
- Student Note Packet